At least 5 superb shows to see for free on the Internet
Below is the list of 6 brilliant shows with links:
(1) Ariadne auf Naxos [dir- Philippe Arlaud, cnd- Christian Thieleman, cast: Renée Fleming, Sophie Koch, Jane Archibald, Robert Dean Smith, Nikolay Borchev, Steven Humes,…]
Production is not particularly interesting (i.e. Claus Guth production of this opera — and the one by Robert Carsen– remain unbeaten), but the conservative crowd was all excited because of Christian Thielemann. He did well although, IMO, Kent Nagano conducts this opera much better. Excellent cast dominated by Sophie Koch.
(2) Otello by Rossini [dir- Moshe Leiser & Patrice Caurier, cnd- Muhai Tang, cast: John Osborn, Cecilia Bartoli, Javier Camarena, Peter Kalman, Liliana Nikiteanu,…]
Witty and interesting production by which Moshe and Patrice confirmed that they are ones of the most intelligent and talented directors today (probably more intelligent than talented). With such an atrocious libretto, witty producers were indispensable. Good job! Although the hype was all about Cecilia Bartoli, John Osborne stole the show (big time!)
Here is your link where you can see the show.
(3) Péleas et Mélisande [dir- Robert Wilson, cnd- Philippe Jordan, cast: Stéphane Degout, Elena Tsallagova, Anne Sofie Von Otter, Franz Josef Selig, Vincent Le Texier, Jérôme Varnier]
It’s the legendary Bob Wilson production that deserves to be seen once in life. 2012 is the year of Debussy, the cast and the orchestra were good, and I’m sure it will sound better on video than in the huge hall of Opéra de Bastille. Wholeheartedly recommended!
(4) Eugene Onegin [dir- Krzysztof Warlikowski, cnd- Pietari Inkinen, cast: Simon Keenlyside, Pavol Breslik, Ekaterina Scherbachenko, Alisa Kolosova…]
Not the best Warikowski, but it’s still Warlikowski…—> Must see absolument!
Live webcast will start this Saturday at 7 p.m. (CET) on this link.
(5) Rusalka [dir- Stefan Herheim, cnd- Adam Fischer, cast: Tatiana Monogarova, Pavel Cernoh, Annalena Persson, Willard White…]
This is my favorite Herheim show together with Lohengrin. Even if it will allow you to see only a small fraction of brilliance of this gem –with respect to what you get during the live performance– it is definitely the show not to miss. It is very regie but its spectacular side will hopefully help those who reject the inventive opera director to reconsider their positions. And yes – Tatiana Monogarova rocks!
Free online streaming will open next Tuesday (March 27) and it will be available for 3 weeks on this link.
(6) L’incoronazione di Poppea [dir- Jean-François Sivadier, cnd- Emmanuelle Haïm, cast: Sonya Yoncheva, Max Emmanuel Cencic, Ann Hallenberg, Mathias Vidal, Amel Brahim-Djelloul, Emiliano Gonzalez Toro, Patrick Schramm…]
This is arguably the most beautiful opera ever; this new production received rave reviews, the subtle theater by Sivadier troubled many people but apparently everyone was enchanted after the show. Our beloved Sonya Yoncheva was fantastic — all reviewers are gushing over her vocal and scenic presence, and they all emphasize the passionate performance by Max Cencic, Ann Halenberg and Matias Vidal.
The show was recorded a week ago and will be available for 6 months on Arte Live Web, starting from next Monday March 26.